- "Fantastic food tour in Athens! Me and my friends really liked the approach of discovering the stories behind each food and we especially loved the ones from mythology! We had no idea that some foods date back to ancient Greece and it was a very nice surprise. Constantina, our foodie guide, was truly awesome! She was sharing with us stories from her own life in Athens and she took us to places that she personally likes and shops. Worth every euro!"
- Thomas, Düsseldorf
- “Our family (2 parents, 1 grandparent and 2 kids) had a wonderful time during this food tour in Athens. Our guide Katerina was amazing! Very friendly, knowledgable and kind. The food was also great. Very delicious and a lot of it! You should not have breakfast before this food tour :)"
- Olivia, NY
- "This food tour was the highlight of our time in Athens. Katerina was a fantastic guide and took our group to local shops, restaurants, and markets. We loved the food and the stories that came with it. Katerina is an amazing storyteller and shared with us interesting info about each food we tried. Both the food tour and the guide were absolutely amazing!"
- Lucas, Malmö
- "LOVED this food tour! The food was plenty and we discovered many local places in Athens. Our guide was so incredibly engaging and fun and even taught us the history behind the food and the landmarks we walked by. A truly pleasant 3-hour journey into Greek gastronomy!"
- Beatrice, New York
- "An awesome and very delicious food tour! I booked it literally last minute to jumpstart my day in Athens and did not expect that it would be so fun. Would highly recommend this Athens food tour due to Katerina's great knowledge and friendliness!"
- Michael, Boston
2. What you can expect
This Athens food tour combines a good taste of traditional Greek food with the art of storytelling, satisfying both your appetite and your curiosity about Greek culture!
Start your day the Greek way, with koulouri and mpougatsa, in one of the oldest bakeries in Athens that feeds the whole city! Learn how traditional ‘phyllo’ pies are made and discover how Homer comes into play. Walking your way through the alleys, you will find yourselves among merchants, you will smell and feel the herbs that are under goddess Demeter’s protection and taste pure, home-made Greek honey that nourished Zeus himself. The gods of Greek mythology show the way as we continue our food tour in the historic and vibrant streets of Athens. After a short walk, it’s time to be initiated into the Greek meze! We’ll head to a local charcuterie, that has been passed down from grandpa to grandpa, and have a good sip of Greek raki (warning: it is strong!) at its secret yard, accompanied by a variety of local mezedes!
Following a typical day’s schedule for Athenians, we’ll make our way to Athens Central Market, to get to know the passionate stall owners who have been making their home-produced products available to us for many decades and try some of the most iconic Greek local food directly from their stalls. Your Athens food tour is not over yet! On to the next stop, it is time for the famous Greek souvlaki! It is really hard to find good souvlaki, prepared with the traditional recipe but, thankfully, your local foodie guide knows just the place! See how it is made and enjoy its taste and story while you relax in the beautiful square filled with local vibes.
Finally, the Ancient Greek Wind God will guide us to the oldest and most traditional ‘loukoumades’ shop in Athens. “Loukoumades” is one of the most delicious Greek desserts and you can have a taste of its secrets the old, good way! Unlike many Athens food tours, you will not just taste food samples. With as many as 15(!) different Greek foods and recipes, you should skip breakfast and you will not find yourself looking for lunch! After this 3-hour “Storytelling Athens food tour” is over, you will leave with a full and happy stomach and a much better understanding of the Greek culture in its essence!